The Lew Crew

The Lew Crew
You got a long way to go Fat Stuff! Get out there and run!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Volcano National Park


View from Kilauea Iki, and Halema'mau'u is steaming in the back ground. I ran a super hard eight miles yesterday. I did the Kilauea Iki Loop twice. After the first loop, I paused in the parking lot, and this huge plume of ash and smoke came billowing out of Halema'mau'u, which is the home of Pele. I got great footage of it, and peoples  reaction on my other video camera. There is a lava lake in that crater, and when I first moved here I remember someone telling me it was a mile or two down. Now, I read in the paper last Thursday that the lake of lave is 240 feet down, and there were over a dozen earthquakes last week, the biggest being 3.8.  So when these plumes came, which happened twice I was wondering if I should run down into the bottom of the crater again. But, what the hell! If Tutu Pele wants to take you, she can do it at will. So, I finished one more loop. I had to stop my run four miles short; I wanted to do at least one more loop, but my feet were killing me. Also, when I jumped over a crevice I came down super hard on a sharp piece of lava rock in the arch of my right foot. My foot still hurts pretty bad today. Well worth all the pain to see Big Mama's show of force.

No comments:

Post a Comment