The Lew Crew

The Lew Crew
You got a long way to go Fat Stuff! Get out there and run!

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rainforest Rain 16 Mile Run

 Feeling strong and confident, I strapped on my gear, wiggled my toes into my Vibram's, and jumped out into the rain unafraid of its wetness! I started down the trail. Splashing through the puddles like a warrior off to Battle. The heavy raindrops splashing beside my feet swishing through the puddles. A mile and a half into the run I encountered a pack of twelve Japanese Tourist, all geared up in some bad ass mystery brand rain gear, smiling and politely stepping aside so I may pass. They must be warriors too! Japanese tourist are rock stars. In the bottom of the crater I passed another man with crazy wet eyes who looked like he may be some spirit of the forest in human form. I didn't see another person until the parking lot at Thurston Lava Tube.

The cold rain made it much easier to run hard. My soaked skin, cold and clammy, was sucking in the rain, and I hardly had to drink off my hydro-pack. My body temperature stayed low resulting in few walk breaks, and almost continuous running the first three loops. I did stop every four miles and take in some food. I am really focusing on being able to fuel up during the runs.

 The rain did cause more gravel to go into my shoes while running through the bottom of the crater. In through the hole on my right foot where I drug a toe the week before, it came in from the tongue area of my left shoe, and I have a nice wound on each foot. The black color of the lava created the most amazing color of puddle water. It was some blue magic water from the Lord of The Rings, and I was splashing my way into becoming a sorcerer. 

The mist starting lift, and the rain was thinning by my third loop. The rain pulled up and stayed in the clouds by my fourth loop. I was fatigued, but held up well during the fourth lap. I needed a little extra water, I walked a good chunk of the second half of the last ascent. I felt that was minor for the first time running 16 miles. 

My soreness this week has been minimal. I am going to run either 16 or 20 miles this weekend. I will have to listen very close to my body this weekend. I don't want to end up injured for the Big Island Marathon, which is the weekend of the 20th.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. I'm glad you liked the post.

    Btw, your blog is great! Good luck with the training. I can't even run a mile straight - so sad...and your little one is adorable :)

    ~Jazibelle

    ReplyDelete